Sample Communication Questions:
1. It is the responsibility of the _______________ to discuss the fee agreement with the client.
d. Office Manager
2. Which lawyer has engaged in professional misconduct?
a. A lawyer who advances money to his client to cover litigation expenses and court costs
b. A lawyer who, at the conclusion of the representation, publishes a book about his representation of a particular client
c. A lawyer who makes an aggregate settlement of the claims of two or more of his clients without the clients’ consent
d. All of the above
3. Which sentence is correct?
a. The road had been closed to traffic do to ice accumulation.
b. Most of the clients left unassisted, finding the service fee to costly.
c. Most paralegals are use to hard work.
d. Tardiness, like abuse of alcohol, is not tolerated.
Sample Organization Questions:
4. Correspondence relating to client cases should be:
a. Filed anywhere in the client’s file.
b. In a file with all other correspondence received/sent by the firm.
c. In a Correspondence subfile for the client’s case.
d. Electronically scanned and then destroyed.
5. When should a file be closed?
a. After the final action in the case
b. December 31 of each year
c. When the final bill is mailed
d. When the responsible attorney leaves the firm
6. The court of original jurisdiction for misdemeanors is:
a. Civil Superior Court.
b. Criminal District Court.
c. Civil District Court.
d. Criminal Superior Court.
Sample Documentation Questions:
7. If a civil defendant does not answer a complaint by the deadline for responding, the plaintiff can ask for:
a. Res judicata.
b. A default summons.
c. A summary ejectment.
d. A default judgment.
8. Which is not listed on a civil summons?
a. Defendant’s address
b. Plaintiff’s attorney’s address
c. Defendant’s date of birth
d. County where the action is being filed
9. Every document that is required to be served subsequent to the complaint must contain:
a. A verification.
b. A certificate of service.
c. An affidavit.
d. An acknowledgment.
Sample Analysis Questions
10. Jim owns a grocery store. Jim has a one-year contract with Bob for Bob to pick up trash in consideration of $100 a month. Jim sells the grocery store to Steve. Jim and Steve meet with Bob and it is agreed that Bob will continue to pick up the trash for Steve. Steve will pay Bob $100 month for this service. Bob will have no future contract rights against Jim, and Jim will have no future contract rights against Bob. In contract law this is called a:
b. Promissory estoppel.
11. A contract is considered executed when:
a. All promises or duties have been carried out.
b. All requirements for a valid contract have been met.
c. There are still promises or duties to be carried out.
d. The contract has been signed by all the parties.
12. To modify a child custody order, one party must show:
a. Financial need.
b. Parental unfitness.
c. Best interest of the child.
d. Substantial change in circumstances.
Sample Research Questions:
13. Which is considered a secondary source?
a. A North Carolina case
b. A North Carolina general statute
c. The North Carolina Constitution
d. A North Carolina law review article
14. A gift of personal property by will is called:
a. A bequest.
b. A devise.
c. An advancement.
d. A codicil.
15. Records for all North Carolina corporations and those foreign corporations authorized to do business in this state are found in the:
a. Bureau of Vital Statistics.
b. Department of Commerce.
c. Office of the Secretary of State.
d. Register of Deeds.
THE NORTH CAROLINA STATE BAR
217 E. Edenton Street • PO Box 25908 • Raleigh, NC 27611-5908 • 919.828.4620
Copyrightę North Carolina State Bar. All rights reserved.
Website design provided by Sageisland.com